1.1 Background of the study
As there are different scholars in computer science, so are there different
definitions of computer. The same is applicable to inventory planning and
control, however all boils down to the same meaning at least though from
different perspectives depending on the understanding.
Iyang (1996:40 defined computer as” an electronic data processing machine capable of receiving, storing, performing arithmetic and logical operations in line with defined instruction, high speed, accuracy and finally transforming the processed data to an output or presenting the data or information in a final printed or visual from”. A computer system could as an “Electro- mechanical machine which receives data instructions, processes them and produce its result as information which are made up of hardware, software, data ware, and human-ware, computer technology is fast revolutionizing the world, Before computer there had been aids to doing such actions as calculation, storing and retrieving information, which were adopted by various organizations.
In the same view, Arnold (1996:221) defined inventory as materials and supplies that a business or institution carries either for sale or to provide inputs or supplies to the production process. All businesses and institutions require inventories which forms the life wire of any organization. Similarly, inventory planning and control for. According to Arnold (1996:223) is responsible for managing and directing inventory from the raw material stage to the customer. Inventory planning and control involves a wide rage of activities like planning, purchasing, storage, usage and control of inventory and for this to be effective, come the use of computer inventory for easy accessibility.
The role computer play in inventory control be over- emphasized. The computer assemblies all pertinent facts about inventory planning and control and bring all these facts up to date. This has been made possible, by the fact that inventory planning and control recognizes that important role computer plays in inventory. Successful inventory planning and control actions are as a result of a computerized inventory system, where all the additions and withdrawals are recorded electronically, so that the computer can trigger the placement of orders to replenish the inventory. Since inventory is necessary for any company dealing with physical products, what it handles large volume of inventory can best be imagined when told like a storey and it beats human imagination when put into use and it is proved.
Brief history of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport (SMICA). The airport was built but the Administration of late chief Sam Mbakwe. First Civilian Governor of the old Imo State made up of the present Imo, Abia and part of Ebony State. The airport was renamed after late chief Sam Mbakwe as an honour for his contribution to growth of the country and aviation industry Sam Mbakwe international cargo Airport, Owerri was officially commissioned on the 15th July 1994 by the former head of state commander. In- chief of the Armed forces, Federal republic of Nigeria, Late general SanmAbacha as a passenger airport, recently, it has been re-designated a cargo airport for the importation of cargo in the eastern geo-political Zones of the country by the former president and commander in- chief of the armed forces of the federal Republic of Nigeria, chief OluseguObasanjo.
The Airport is managed by one federal Parastatal and three Agencies namely, Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Nigeria airspace management Agency (NCAA) and Nigeria meteorological service Agency (NIMET) . The Airport has as purchasing and stores department where materials of different kinds are purchased and kept for services and which as highly monitored by computer so as to maintain efficient and effective inventory planning and control, it is located at Ngorokpala L.G.A
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
problem of inventory planning and control has been very daring but it has also
been within the past years that this scientific method in computer was introduced
in various companies and establishments to promote proper inventory planning
and control. The researcher desired to go into the major problems which the
establishment have been experiencing before the use of computer was imitated
and deduced remedies and solutions in solving these problems. As a result of
many operational activities of industries and establishments, they have found
the difficult with the surge in business activities. The function of the stores
is changing into a more complex one, which emphasized the availability of
information at the shortest possible and also the speeding up of time used in
rendering certain services. This means that, the use of manual operations could
not effectively handle the whole work load and this almost led to a less
servicing activities to different operational areas. This also means that
materials shortage were delays in stock recording and delivery, at times a
complete halt as shortage of material will hit the services operations.
Computerization is then seen as answer to those problems facing servicing and
manufacturing industries that operates a large system and has the finance and
manpower quickly embraced the new technology.
Beside the role of computer in inventory managements face a lot of difficulties due to the following problems.
(a) Inability to determine correctly the exact period of replenishment stock and the economic order quantity.
Inadequate planning and effective control of stock.
(c) Unfavorable internal and external factors which influences inventory planning and control
(d) Inability of the inventory managers to predict with certainty into the future of their customer demand.
(e) Shortage of funds available to business managers and the need to resolve the liquidity and profitability conflict.
Poor accounting documentation of stock
(g) Lack of unskilled personnel to operate the computer system.
(h) Hum Sum of money involved in the purchase of computer system.
(i) Unauthorized persons getting access to the computer system.
(j) The difficulty of correcting errors when they occurs, when the wrong code number is entered the various services rendered in inventory planning and control and how this application has affected output and efficiency.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
be the nature and structure of a country for instance Nigeria, Sam Mbakwe
International cargo airport has contributed immensely to the success and
development of the country hence international buying and selling via
relationship is concern. To this end the objectives of the study are.
(1) To examine the methods and importance of computer application in inventory planning and control
(2) To identify the effects of computer application in inventory planning and control.
To investigate into the uses to increases the efficiency of the store.
(4) To examine the Overview of computer application to the various services rendered in inventory planning and control.
(5) To identify the desirability and effects of computer application in the storage system.
(6) To find how computer application in inventory planning and control will help change the whole concept of inventory.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
important thing a research of this nature needs to achieve is to empirically
prove the subject matter of the study. This is an order to give direction to
readers, other researchers and planners so as to elicit what the research is
all about. It is therefore becomes necessary to formulate research questions on
which the conclusion would be based and are followed.
a. What things can a computer do in inventory planning and control in an organization
b. Why should inventory planning and control in an organization be computerized.
c. Does computer really increase effectiveness and efficient in inventory planning and control in an organization.
d. How should the computer system be operated in inventory planning and control in an organization
Does computerization help in reducing the burden of work in your stores?
The above research questions are such which reasonable answers can be elicited at the end of the project.
1.5 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
Hypothesis is a declaration statement of relationship between two or more variables used for better understanding of the problem of the study. That is, it is a statement to be proved or disproved as a result of findings. It is regarded as the core work of the research work. The hypothesis to be tested on is to prove that either,
The computerization of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport has not improved
services in inventory planning and control of the establishment.
H1: the computerization of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport has improved services in inventory planning and control of the establishment.
The computerization hasnot reduced the burden of work load in stores.
H2:The computerization has reduced the burden of work load in
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of importance of this study cannot be overemphasized who related to the contributions of airport (establishment) in Nigeria via Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport. The research will serve as a useful guide in determining the relevance of computer application in inventory planning and Control. To this end the significance of the study are as follows:
(1) It helps in determining the role computer plays in inventory planning and control.
(2) It serves as a bedrock of experience and understanding with respect to computer application in inventory planning and control.
(3) It gives/ allows employers and employees an amp time in applying the right system of inventory
(4) It helps students of purchasing and supply as well as the researcher to know the relationship between computer and inventory planning and control
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study is very wide if it has to be carried out in all the airport (establishment) in Nigeria. Thus the study will only cover the activities of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport as it regards to the application of computer in inventory planning and control. The findings may reflect the situation but by and large attempt to find the methods and importance of computer application in inventory planning and control of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport.
1.8 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
Zeal and enthusiasm that the researcher felt in the course of this research was
short-lived as a result of certain obstacles which are as follows.
a. NON- RESPONSE
The staff of Sam Mbakwe international cargo airport felt reluctant to give o information to avoid being maneuvered by their federal auditors and even compactors posed a problem and there was no bank where one can easily go for the collection of such information.
B. TIME FACTOR
The time carrying out this research was limited for visits and revisiting to the place of establishment because of the institutions academic system which did not create a particular period for their research work which resulted in the researcher dividing her time between lecturers and research.
The cost involved in carrying out this research was exorbitant, coupled with the present economic condition affected the research of the work.
1.9DEFINITION OF TERMS
The terms in this study which have unique meaning that could be subjected to different interpretation by different readers of this project are as follows.
(1) HARDWARE: It
is the mechanical, magnetic, electronic and electrical devices and components
of the compute operating system itself.
(2) SOFTWARE: It provides an interface between the user programmers and operators, the hardware system and the application software.
(3) ACCESSS: Is the process by which information are funds in a storage devices and called up for use.
(4) HUMAN WARE: Is the term used for people who are directly involved in the use of computer.
(5) TURNKEY SYSTEM: Is
a system where only the operation peoples ware or users have the code to get in
and out of the system.
(6) MASTER RECORD SIZE: Is the quantity to be ordered whether from within or without the source to avoid relevant cost.
(7) UODARE: It is a process of modifying a master record with current information according to a specific procedure.
(8) COMPUTERIZED INVENTORY SYSTEM: is the set of policies and controls that monitors levels of inventories and determine what level should be maintained, when stock should be replenished and how large orders should be.
(9) INVENTORY: this can be defined as stock of raw materials, component parts, fabricating parts or finished goods which are held for several reasons.
(10) INVENTORY CONTROL: This is the supervision of the supply, storage and accessibility of items in order to ensure an adequate supply with excessive or over supply.
(11) INVENTORY MANAGEMENT: Is a major cost centre analysis which must be carefully scrutinized by the firm with a view to employ prudent financial management.
(12) Inventory planning: This is the
activities and techniques of determining the desired levels of items, whether
raw materials, work in process, or finished products include order quantities
and safety stock levels.
(13) Computer: this can be seen as an electronic device which under the control of stored program, accept data through its input devices,
(14) Computer science: is the blending of principles theories and application of the technologies that underlies the access to information
(15) STOCK OUT: This is a situation where the stock position or level is nil. It is an ugly situation that causes stoppage of operation.
(16) STOCK RECORD: these are forms of clerical record designed to provide on the spot information about all items of stock held within the stores organization.
(17) DISCREPANCY: Can be defined as a non- arrestment between the stock balance as indicated in the stock record and the quantity physically funds and counted during stocktaking
Means the act of stealing small amounts or small articles.
(19) STORES: Is an area in an organization where various kinds of materials needed for production, distribution, maintenance, packaging and general administration etc. Are received in, stores and issued out on demand.
(20) PURCHASING: This is a process involving the provision of raw materials, tools and equipment of the right quality in the right quantity at of the right time, at the right price and from the right place (source)
(21) DATE: This is raw- facts and figures generated by human’s and their activities.
(22) FRAUD: Is an international deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual.
(23) OUTPUT: is the amount of materials/ products or result that a person, a machine or an organization produces or the information, result, etc. Produced by a computer
It means time, knowledge, ideas, materials, etc that are out into work or a
project etc in order to make a success or produce a computer.
(25) WORK LOAD: This is the amount of work that has to be done by a particular person or an organization
1.10 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
You can find more topics easily, just search
SIMILAR EDUCATION PROJECT TOPICS AND MATERIALS
» ABSTRACT The purpose of this study is to find out the effects of teachers qualities on teaching phonics in nursery school. The study was carried out u...Continue Reading »
39 pages | 139 hits | Source: EDUCATION
2. FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR LOW ENROLMENT OF STUDENTS IN CHEMISTRY EDUCATION IN COLLEGES OF EDUCATION IN ENUGU STATE» Abstract This research work is a survey of Factors Responsible for low Enrolment of Student in Chemistry Education in Enugu State. It aims at finding ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 92 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE1.0 INTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDYCultism in Nigeria has become a house hold name in most the Nigerian communities and the activities ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 79 hits | Source: EDUCATION
4. THE CAUSES OF STUDENTS POOR PERFORMANCE IN MATHEMATICS IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL: A CASE STUDY OF AKOKO-EDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE» ABSTRACT This project work is based on an attempt to identify the causes of student’s poor performance in mathematics in some selected secondary...Continue Reading »
66 pages | 167 hits | Source: EDUCATION
5. IMPACT OF SCHOOL FACILITIES ON STUDENT ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE: CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN IGARRA AKOKO EDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, ...» ABSTRACT This project work provide as a broad knowledge of the impact of school facilities on students academic performance in some school in Igarra A...Continue Reading »
74 pages | 162 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Sexuality and contraception among students continue to be a public health problem of immediate concern in developed and u...Continue Reading »
45 pages | 134 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY At the dawn of the year 2002, Nigeria is still uncertain where it is going. In other words, her d...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 98 hits | Source: EDUCATION
8. PERCEIVED EFFECT OF MOTIVATIONAL TOOLS ON STUDENT ATHLETES PERFORMANCE IN SOME SELECTED TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS» ABSTRACT The purpose of the study was to examine the perceived effect of motivational tools on student athletes performance in some selected tertiary ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 138 hits | Source: EDUCATION
9. THE APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TO THE LEARNING AND TEACHING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In today’s world, the use of adoption of information technology (ICT) in teaching of economics ...Continue Reading »
92 pages | 5 hits | Source: EDUCATION
» ABSTRACT This study was conducted to find out some of the factors influencing drug abuse behaviour amongst secondary schools in Ogbomoso North Local G...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 127 hits | Source: EDUCATION